Wednesday, March 12, 2014

happy spring!

After what seems like years of snow and cold, the snow has finally started melting, which can only mean one thing: SPRING! Spring in Minnesota can be muddy and gross, but regardless of the awkward phases during this next season, I think we all smile a little bit more when the sun comes out. In celebration of the coming of spring Obviously I'm no fashion or trend expert, but I thought I'd share some essentials and fun things we could all use to prepare for March madness, April showers, and May flowers!

Music
Who doesn't love music, right? My favorite winter bands were the 1975, Arctic Monkeys, and the Neighbourhood. While those bands will always be in my list of favorites, it's time to lean away from darker tunes and embrace light hearted, spring-y melodies. Whenever I'm stuck in a music rut, I always head over to 8tracks.com, a website that is basically the 21st century version of a mix-tape collection. 8tracks is great for listening to new mixes and finding new artists and songs to jam out to. You can follow me to see all my favorite mixes and what I'm listening too, my username is theonechameleon (duh). My current favorite mixes for upbeat songs are "up & about" by thecheekypeach and "changing of the seasons" by feelingdefenseless.


Fashion
Rain or shine, we should start thinking about ditching the heavy scarves and Uggs (I mean, ditch the Uggs regardless) for some lighter attire. Tis the season of crop tops and high waisted shorts! The thing I love about spring is that it gives you a excuse to break out everyone's favorite (but least worn) accessory: Rain boots! Longer days and a brighter skies make for a perfect opportunity to trade black for white, jeans for shorts (or capris, this is Minnesota after all), and sweaters for tees. And consider taking advantage of warmer days and experiment with dresses! One of my favorite Minnesota bloggers, Macailah Maxwell, posts a ton of outfit inspiration on her blog Take A Lovely Look, perfect for the transition between chilly and warm this season.


Movies
So many new movies to see! Especially after the Oscars, the list of movies we need to see just expanded by a LOT! Some movies that I'm looking forward to watching this season are "The Grand Budapest Hotel" (Wes Anderson, duh!), "Divergent" (I read all the books, plus Shailene Woodley always brings it), and "3 Days To Kill" (I'm a sucker for crappy action movies). Plus, I just watched "Frozen" a couple of nights ago, so if you haven't seen it yet I recommend you do so SOON! Not only because it is an adorable movie, but because it probably won't be too fun to watch all of that snow in the spring. Some movies that I recommend for you guys to see are definitely "Stuck In Love", "Safety Not Guaranteed" and "The To Do List". I think all of these movies are perfect to prepare for summer, and provide some good laughs (and maybe some tears).


Things to do
Warmer weather gives us an awesome opportunity to do tons of stuff we couldn't do in the snow! Time to break out the bikes, and get ready for long walks without having to worry about freezing to death. Spring is a perfect time to start celebrating the outdoors! Think about going for runs, walks, or adventures outside while the sun (or moon) is shining.  If you're looking for something spectacular to do over spring break, the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts is hosting an event just for teens on April 3rd from 6-9. The theme is "Art of Words" and it's called Rated T. It features so many cool things to do like an open mic, designing your own vinyl album, hand printing stationary/cards, and so much more. If you enjoyed yourself at Rated T, the Walker Art Center has their own teen-centric event on the 17th. They're both totally free, and give you a great excuse to hang out in the great museums of Minneapolis.



Books
With spring break coming along, we are going to have a lot of time on our hands. I always get scared by the number of fantastic books that I'll probably never get the chance to read, so I might was well make a dent in my list of books to read while I have a couple of weeks off of school. This spring break, I'll be reading a great non-fiction novel called "Lost girls: an Unsolved American Mystery" by Robert Kolker. I originally picked the book for a school project, but now I can't get enough of it! I picked three books that I think you guys should consider reading this season. "When You Reach Me" by Rebecca Stead is a book aimed for kids ages 7-13, but has been given rave reviews by people way over that age limit. Next "Maze Runner" by James Dashner. The movie is coming out very soon, and you want to be in the loop when you go to watch the film next September. And if you're in the mood for a little mystery, read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. While I personally haven't read the book, my mom and my english teacher can't stop talking about it. If you don't like any of my personal picks, Teen Vogue published a great article with some book recommendations perfect for spring reading.

That brings me to the end of my spring-themed post! I hope you all enjoyed my suggestions and take some of them to heart. 

Let me know what you are doing this spring break! Send me a message, comment on this post, or shoot me a tweet. I'd really (truly) love to know.

Happy Spring Equinox (and International Day of Happiness)!
xo Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment