Sunday, July 28, 2013

diy sea salt spray ☀



Everyone in the beauty and fashion world has been raving about pop culture's new obsession: Sea Salt Spray. Sprays have been roaming around beauty stores for a while, costing around $25 dollars per bottle. When I saw, this I immediately needed a bottle, but I also thought "How hard can this be to make?". Inspired by my craving for beachy hair and my DIY personality, I looked up multiple recipes for this hair remedy and meshed them all together to create an awesome and inexpensive way to get beachy waves.

First, supplies! All you need is sea salt, coconut oil (or any other oil works, coconut oil just smells the best), hair gel, and an spray bottle that can fit 8oz of water in it.
For me, all of these supplies cost me around $7, not including the hair gel (which I just found laying around my house). I bought the coconut oil at this place called Bill's Imported Food in Minneapolis for $1.50, you can find sea salt at a grocery store and a spray bottle at a craft store.

Let's get to the fun stuff! Now you put 1 cup (or 8oz) of warmish (to dissolve the salt) water into your spray bottle. If you want to make more, just double the quantities of each ingredient. Then you add 1 teaspoon of salt.


After that, you add about half of a teaspoon of coconut oil to the mixture. The main reason for the oil is to prevent your hair from drying out because of the salt, but coconut oil is a favorite because it smells really great, and coconut is a ton more moisturizing than other oils.



Now you just add a dab of hair gel! I honestly don't know how much to use, so I just used half a teaspoon. The reason for the hair gel is so that the spray sticks, and your hair looks wavy for the whole day, and not just as long as it's wet. 


And now, the final and funnest step: Shake it all up! Shake it for as long as it takes for it to dissolve (I really should have timed it, but I didn't, so you're on your own). When you're all done, spray a little in your hair, scrunch it up, and marvel at how amazing you look.

Since my hair is already super wavy, when I put it in there, nothing really changed. If your hair is straight or less curly in mine, it should look a little bit like this:

 http://blog.freepeople.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/beforeandafter.jpg (not my photo)

I hope this little post helped you or inspired you to make something very cool! Tweet me pictures of your finished product in your hair if you do it, I'd really love to see how it turns out!

Stay groovy,
xo Camille










No comments:

Post a Comment