Tuesday, March 8, 2016

#IWD2016: 10 fresh lady singers to watch out for

Today I want to talk about some of my favorite women in the music industry who deserve way more love than they get. Today is International Women's Day, and March is the highly underrated Women's History Month, so in order to promote some lady lovin' this month, I've compiled this playlist.

MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN ALONG BY CLICKING RIGHT HERE!


(The following acts are listed in no particular order, and they are all filled to the brim with talent)

BIBI BOURELLY

Even if you haven't heard of Bibi Bourelly, but you've definitely heard her lyrics. She's the mastermind behind some of Pop music's most successful songs, like "B*tch better have my money" performed by Rihanna. Her own music is killer too. Her song "Ego" has over 2 million plays on Spotify, and her latest release "Sally" has been playing non-stop in my car. Be sure to check out her twitter @BibiBourelly_ and her Spotify page here.

ELLA EYRE

If you live somewhere other than the US, you're probably very confused as to why I'm mentioning Ella Eyre in this "underrated singers" post. Surprisingly, (maybe it's just where I live), nobody seems to know who she is! Not only does Eyre exemplify #hairgoals, she has an amazing voice too.  If her 60+ million plays on Spotify isn't enough to convince you, listening to her hypnotic voice should woo you in seconds. Follow Ella on twitter @EllaEyre and Spotify here.


BISHOP

She's only released two songs, and somehow Bishop has taken over my life. "Wild Horses" and "River" are constantly playing in my house (if you think I'm exaggerating, ask my sister). I don't even know how to describe her music except impossible not to love. The mix of intense beats with her strong feminine vocals is enough to make anyone swoon. Follow her on twitter @thatgirlbishop and Spotify here.


GRACE

You might've heard Grace on G-Eazy's song "You Don't Own Me". Just in case you couldn't get enough of her incredible voice, her EP "Memo" has 5 songs that you'll never get tired of. Seriously, her voice is unbelievable. I can't wait for her to release a full album! Follow her on twitter @OfficialGrace and Spotify here.

FRANKIE

I love pop music more than I care to admit. When I need my pop fix or I get tired of the same 30 songs playing on the radio, I turn up the Frankie. I dare you to listen to her album "Dreamstate" and not smile. With the perfect mix of indie and pop, Frankie's got it all. Follow her on twitter @FRANKIEmusic and Spotify here.

ZARA LARSSON

I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard of Zara Larsson. She won the Swedish version of Got Talent in 2008, and has been releasing music pretty much non-stop since then. I must admit, her newest single "Lush Life" reigns above them all, with over 200 million plays on Spotify. If you haven't seen her interactive video with Clinique, I highly suggest you do so!!  Oh yeah, and she's only 18. Make sure you follow her on Twitter @ZaraLarsson and Spotify here.

JESS GLYNNE


I'm sure you've heard Clean Bandit's song featuring Jess Glynne's magical vocal chords called "Rather Be", it has over 430 million plays on Spotify. If you haven't been listening to the rest of her music, you're seriously missing out. Her voice is full, her beats are dope, which makes her one artist you simply can't miss. Follow her on Twitter @JessGlynne and Spotify here.

LIANNE LA HAVAS

Lianne La Havas, a self proclaimed "Shinger/Shongwriter/Guitarisht", has wooed me with her dreamy yet soulful jams on her sophomore album "Blood". Though she started out as a background singer, it is clear to see that she deserves the spotlight. And just in case you were unsure about La Havas, her genre of music is classified as Soul- R&B - Folk music. Follow her on Twitter @liannelahavs and Spotify here.

YUNA


Yuna is an indie-pop singer from Malaysia, but she prefers the title of business woman, who makes catchy tunes that she once described  as "a cross between Mary Poppins and Coldplay". Her first hit, "Live Your Life" was produced by Grammy nominated Pharrell Williams, and since then she has showed no signs of stopping. Follow her on Twitter @yunamusic and Spotify here.



SANTIGOLD


If you've seen the Paper Towns movie starring Cara Delevingne and Nat Wolff, you've heard Santigold's song "Radio". But don't fret, Santigold is nowhere near a one-hit wonder. Her latest album, "99 cents" features 12 songs filled with pumping beats and catchy melodies perfect for getting up to no good. Follow her on Twitter @Santigold and Spotify here.

BONUS: LION BABE


Lion Babe is a bonus because although the duo consists of Jillian Hervey and Lucas Goodman, I couldn't resist adding their "girl-power" songs to this list. If you're looking for some Neo-Soul music to add to your playlists, make sure to try their debut album "Begin". Follow them on Twitter @LionBabe and Spotify here.




No comments:

Post a Comment