Sunday, January 5, 2014

how to stay fit during the school year!

ESPECIALLY after all of those insane holiday meals, we are going to need to boost our bodies. Staying in shape during school is hard. You have a lot less time to take walks or go for runs, and even simple things like biking to go get coffee is impossible given the wintery weather. Most of the time, I hate working out, but I came up with some little tips and things that I actually enjoy doing during the winter.

First, the 7 Minute Workout. Trying to manage homework and a social life is hard enough, but now you have to add working out to that mix! Don't worry, this nifty app called the "Seven Minute Workout" has got you covered. I discovered the app while stalkin Alli Simpson on her YouTube channel when I stumbled upon a workout video that she uploaded recently, featuring the app. I tried it out, and I loved it! Each circuit is a 12 step 7 minute workout, and it's completely free! You can open up the app during a study break, and do a couple of circuits each day! It's really simple, and actually kind of fun to do.

Next, the obvious choice, School Sports. I'm not really one to participate in school sports. Personally I find them kind of stupid because I'm not very athletic, but I'm very competitive so I end up just getting incredibly disappointed. But for those sporty kids, get out there and do it! There are plenty of winter sports like Nordic, Downhill Ski, and a ton of in-house sports that can be offered at your high school or local community center.

Third on my list is the VS Angel workouts! Sounds stupid, I know, but these babies really work and you can do them right in your bedroom. My friend Kaylyn wrote a huge masterpost on these, so you can check them out right here!

And finally, the foolproof way to stay sexy during the year is to Hit the Gym! Since I'm not super athletic, I really enjoy yoga classes, (which aren't super difficult, but actually can be a nice workout for beginners!) and there are also a ton of fun classes that don't seem like you're working out that can be offered! There is Zumba, Kickboxing, Cycling, and a bunch of other fun stuff to get your heart pumping.

(SIDENOTE) For those who need it, here are some tips for working out in general. For the newbies.

  • You shouldn't do a really hard workout 7 days a week. Your body always needs at least one or two rest days before you can get back up and running. 
  • That said, you shouldn't take more than TWO rest days in between a workout. It gives your body too much time to heal and basically erases everything you just did. 
  • Duh, WATER! Staying hydrated is really important, especially if you're doing a particularly sweaty workout like Cycling or Hot Yoga. The weather is really dry, and you need water to keep your body functioning.
  • Remember if you're just starting out that you won't see a difference (if you're looking for one) right away! Don't push yourself too hard. I have two reasons. 1) You're beautiful the way you are, I promise! 2) Overworking yourself is a stupid reason to end up really hurt for the rest of your life. All you really need is to be healthy. There is no ONE WAY to look healthy! Looking and being healthy can ba a billion different things. Just because you see a thin model on TV doesn't mean that she's healthy! And just because you don't fit into size 0 pants don't mean you're not beautiful and healthy. All that REALLY matters is happiness and healthiness. 

Remember to always Eat healthy!! Just because it's cold out doesn't mean you can eat comfort food all season. There are a ton of really great ways to cook veggies and lean meats in a way that it warms your tummy and makes you forget about all of the snow! Just go to tumblr.com/tagged/fitblr, and there are a ton of blogs with some foodie inspiration. But remember, it isn't all about food! Don't stress yourself out about it. Eat what you want to eat, just be sure to mix in some more yummy vitamin rich foods into your diet.


That's all for today folks! I hope you all enjoyed this post-holidays entry. Remember to stay healthy, but most importantly, HAPPY!! 

Have a very wonderful 2014!
xo Camille

3 comments:

  1. “ESPECIALLY after all of those insane holiday meals, we are going to need to boost our bodies.” – how true. Surely, we’re not the only ones feeling the aftermath that holiday festivities brought to our bellies, but that doesn’t mean we should hole ourselves up in the gym, sweating for hours. Over exercising is not healthy; it could be harmful, particularly if there is no fitness expert around to guide you. Carmelia @ NWCrossFit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I know that! You must not have read the entire post, because I added multiple disclaimers about working out in a healthy way. Near the bottom of the post, I wrote "Overworking yourself is a stupid reason to end up really hurt for the rest of your life. All you really need is to be healthy."

      I in no way want to misguide my readers about healthy workout habits. I never stated that my readers should workout nonstop to counteract possible holiday weight gain, I just offered a little advice in the healthiest way possible for people who are looking to stay in shape. I understand you are an expert and I am in NO WAY a fitness expert, but none of the advice I gave here is telling every single girl to workout 5 hours a day to lose weight or whatever.

      Please read the whole post before you make comments. Once you've done that, I welcome your criticism!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete