Sunday, October 23, 2016

since moving to new york (55 days)

I haven't lived in New York for very long, it's been about two months now, but I already feel like I've learned a lot.

What's weirdest is that I don't necessarily feel like I live in New York City as everybody understands it. I live in Morningside Heights, which while still in Manhattan, is as close to a college town as you can get in the city. First you have Columbia, which includes the College, Engineering School. School of General Studies, Teacher's College, and the Graduate programs, then Barnard College, then you have the Theological School, and the Manhattan School of Music, all in a 10 block radius. My neighborhood, while still hustling and bustling and definitely nowhere close to suburbia, feels safe and quiet compared to what you picture when you think of New York City.

In fact, I've learned that a good chunk of New York City isn't the Casey Neistat picture perfect dream of a place that you see in the media or even when you come to the city for a quick visit. There aren't many high rise skyscrapers outside of the Midtown or Wall Street area. I haven't explored as much of the city as I'd like to, and I'm running out of time before it gets too cold to enjoy spending time wandering around outside. But I'm making an effort to get out of Morningside and become comfortable with the city I hope to call home for a long time. (It's a struggle to get to the East side, I will say. Crossing Central Park is more of a hassle than I expected. Also haven't been to Central Park. I'm failing at this 'New Yorker' thing).

Most people experience a waning of their desire to dress well in college and end up wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts all day, because who has time to put on makeup when you have midterms? I've experienced the opposite effect (although I have been wearing way less makeup then I did in high school for the reason stated above). While there still are people on campus who are satisfied wearing exclusively Columbia gear, people dress so well in this city, both on campus and off! Back home, I thought that I was a fashion queen because I didn't wear yoga pants on the daily. Here, my ripped-jean laid back style isn't cutting it. I've been so inspired to step outside of my comfort zone and wear things that really make a statement. Honestly, I could talk about this new style-inspiration for way longer than just this paragraph, but that probably won't be too interesting after a while.

So finish this post off, here are of a few of the "New Yorker Milestones" that I've experienced so far. I still don't feel like a "New Yorker", I am nowhere close & I won't be for a while, but I'm working my way up.


  • Got in fight with a cockroach.....and lost.
  • Observed a subway rat with indifference rather than disgust.
  • Can navigate the subway system fairly well (with the help of Citymapper)
  • Usually don't fall over too many times on the train.
  • Went to the met.
  • Passed a block with a great view of the Empire State Building and did not take a photo.
  • Gave a tourist directions.
  • Went to Times Square and vowed to never return.
  • Ate lunch next to a Victoria's Secret model and played it cool.
  • Felt out of place at a bougie Upper East Side party. (Seriously, I was the only one not wearing Chanel)
As much as I have learned, there is still a long way to go to achieving my complete form of a "New York Gal". My goals are the following:
  • Learn to skateboard. Walking is overrated.
    • Also, make friends with skaters. I love skaters so much. So much.
  • Bike in the city? Scary but maybe worth it.
  • Go to every museum. Seriously, every one.
  • Visit the top of the Empire State Building. Touristy as hell, but you gotta do it.
  • Be able to stand on a moving subway train without a pole and not fall over.
  • Hang out in Brooklyn. I can't believe I haven't gone to Brooklyn yet.
  • Go to a nice ass apartment. I've mostly been hanging out in dorms, which isn't very cosmopolitan.
  • Order a bougie drink at a bar. Like a cosmo.
  • Go out in downtown Manhattan. Uptown night life is very different.

I hope to continue posting about what I'm learning and how I'm adjusting to this new life I've got going. This is stuff I know I'll want to remember, but it isn't as cut and dry as "Today I went to the Empire State Building" or anything like that. Maybe in the future I'll be able to look back at these and see how I became the person that I am.

Thanks for reading! If you want more life updates feel free to follow me on my socials, all of which are @theonechameleon.

Signing off,
Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment