Monday, November 9, 2015

some better holiday starbucks designs

Recently there has been a lot of controversy over the new Starbucks Holiday cup designs. This year, Starbucks went for a minimal approach, with just a red gradient cup rather than adding designs or decals.




I actually love the new design. Minimalism is my jam.

However, according to Buzzfeed, some Christians are super pissed about the new cups. Apparently, just plain red isn't "Christian" enough for them. Some even went so far to say:


( I recommend reading the Buzzfeed article. It is really nice. I stole the tweet above from there).

I, rightfully, became little peeved. Do Christians really think that their holiday is the one of the most importance? So much so that Starbucks is required to feature Christmas and ONLY Christmas in their cup designs?

This, obviously, is absurd. While I do think Starbucks does a fairly good job of being secular, they aren't perfect. The color red is an obvious allusion to the red attire of Saint Nick (aka Santa Claus). By using the color red and many of their previous designs, featuring Christmas trees and other religiously linked objects, they are subtly excluding people of other religions.

I decided to take this matter into my own hands. I made four new Starbucks cup logos for the Holidays that pay homage to different religions and cultures. I did my best to keep with the minimalist theme of this season. Enjoy.

Disclosure: I am not a graphic designer. These cups are not the most beautiful or well done. Bare with me.


Hanukkah Cup - Judaism

Kwanzaa Cup - African American



St. Lucia - Sweden

Winter Solstice - Atheism/Many Other Religions


Holiday season makes me very uncomfortable as it is with the obvious dominance of Christian culture. Let's try and limit that this Holiday season and let Starbucks do its thing.

Plus, it's only November. Don't forget about Thanksgiving.

Thanks for reading. If there is anything you want to tell me, comment or tweet me @theonechameleon.

Camille







No comments:

Post a Comment